Spirituality is often misunderstood as a vague or esoteric concept that has little relevance to our daily lives. However, according to Swami Mukundananda, a renowned spiritual teacher and author of the book ‘Golden Rules for Living Your Best Life’, spirituality is a practical and essential aspect of human existence that can enhance our well-being, happiness and purpose. In this article, we will explore some of the key benefits and practices of spirituality based on Swami Mukundananda’s wisdom.
What is spirituality and why is it important?
Swami Mukundananda defines spirituality as “a belief in the existence of something sacred and divine, beyond the mundane objects around us. It is an appreciation of our soul nature, distinct from the material body. Spirituality is behaving in alignment with our higher-self. It is a connection with something bigger than us; it is the search for a deeper meaning in life.”
Spirituality is important because it helps us to develop a holistic and positive worldview that transcends the limitations of materialism and reductionism. It also helps us to cultivate good values and beliefs that guide our choices and actions in life. Moreover, spirituality nurtures our connection with creation, compassion and God, which are the sources of true joy and fulfilment.
How to practice spirituality in daily life?
Swami Mukundananda suggests that spirituality can be practiced in a variety of ways, depending on one’s faith, culture and preference. However, he emphasizes that any bona fide spiritual practice should be based on three pillars: knowledge, devotion and service.
- Knowledge: This refers to the study of sacred scriptures and teachings that reveal the nature of reality, the self and God. Knowledge helps us to understand our true identity and purpose, and to overcome ignorance and illusion.
- Devotion: This refers to the expression of love and gratitude towards God, who is the supreme source of everything. Devotion helps us to develop a personal relationship with God, and to experience His presence and grace in our lives.
- Service: This refers to the performance of selfless actions for the welfare of others, without any expectation of reward or recognition. Service helps us to purify our mind and heart, and to manifest our love for God in practical ways.
What are the benefits of spirituality for our well-being?
Swami Mukundananda explains that spirituality has numerous benefits for our physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well-being. Some of these benefits are:
- Spirituality helps us to see the big picture of life, beyond the trivialities and troubles of the world. It gives us a sense of perspective and optimism, and helps us to cope with stress and challenges.
- Spirituality helps us to develop positive qualities such as humility, honesty, integrity, generosity, forgiveness, patience and tolerance. These qualities enhance our character and personality, and improve our relationships with others.
- Spirituality helps us to discover our inner potential and talents, and to use them for a higher cause. It inspires us to pursue our passion and purpose, and to contribute positively to society.
- Spirituality helps us to experience inner peace and happiness, which are independent of external circumstances. It also helps us to attain blissful states of consciousness such as meditation, ecstasy and enlightenment.
Spirituality is not a luxury or an option for human beings; it is a necessity and a duty. Swami Mukundananda urges us to embrace spirituality as a way of life, and to enjoy its manifold benefits for ourselves and others. He says, “Spirituality is not about renouncing the world; it is about living in the world with wisdom and love.”