LinkedIn is more than just a digital resume storage space. It is also a powerful search engine that can help you generate targeted traffic, connections, and leads. However, with over 950 million users, standing out on LinkedIn is not easy. You need to optimize your profile for LinkedIn’s search algorithm and for your target audience.
In this article, we will share some of the best SEO tips from Neil Patel, a renowned digital marketing expert and founder of NP Digital. Patel has recently published a comprehensive guide on how to optimize your LinkedIn profile for SEO on his blog. Here are some of the key takeaways from his guide.
Choose the Right Keywords for Your Profile
Keywords are the words and phrases that your target audience uses to search for people, companies, or topics on LinkedIn. By including relevant keywords in your profile, you can increase your chances of appearing in the search results and attracting the right visitors.
To find the best keywords for your profile, Patel suggests using tools like Ubersuggest or Google Keyword Planner. You can also look at the profiles of your competitors or industry leaders and see what keywords they use.
Once you have a list of keywords, you need to strategically place them in different sections of your profile, such as:
- Your headline: This is the first thing that people see when they find you on LinkedIn. It should include your main keyword and a value proposition that tells people what you do and how you can help them.
- Your summary: This is where you can showcase your personality, skills, and achievements. It should include several keywords that describe your expertise, industry, and niche.
- Your experience: This is where you can highlight your work history and accomplishments. It should include keywords that relate to your job titles, roles, and responsibilities.
- Your skills: This is where you can list your core competencies and areas of specialization. It should include keywords that match the skills that your target audience is looking for.
Customize Your LinkedIn Profile URL
LinkedIn allows you to create a custom URL for your profile that looks more professional and memorable than the default one. For example, instead of having a URL like
https://www.linkedin.com/in/abcde12345/, you can have one like
To customize your LinkedIn profile URL, Patel advises following these steps:
- Go to your profile page and click on the “Edit public profile & URL” button on the right side of the screen.
- On the next page, click on the “Edit your custom URL” link under the “Edit URL” section.
- Type in your desired URL in the text box and click on “Save”.
Patel recommends using your name or a variation of it as your custom URL, as it can help with personal branding and SEO. If your name is already taken, you can try adding a modifier like your location, industry, or niche.
Name Your Profile Picture and Banner Image
Another way to optimize your profile for SEO is to name your profile picture and banner image with relevant keywords. This can help LinkedIn and other search engines understand what your profile is about and rank it accordingly.
To name your profile picture and banner image, Patel suggests following these steps:
- Save your images on your computer with descriptive file names that include your main keyword. For example,
- Upload your images to your profile by clicking on the camera icons on the top left corner of each section.
- Add alt text to your images by clicking on the pencil icon on the bottom right corner of each section. Alt text is a brief description of what your images show. It should include your main keyword and a relevant phrase. For example,
Neil Patel - Digital Marketing Expert.
Create Backlinks to Your Profile
Backlinks are links from other websites that point to your profile. They can help boost your profile’s authority and visibility on LinkedIn and other search engines. The more backlinks you have from reputable sources, the higher your profile will rank.
To create backlinks to your profile, Patel recommends using these strategies:
- Link to your profile from other online platforms, such as your website, blog, social media accounts, email signature, guest posts, podcasts, etc.
- Ask for recommendations from your connections on LinkedIn. Recommendations are testimonials that appear on your profile and show that you are credible and trustworthy. They also create backlinks to your profile from the profiles of those who recommend you.
- Engage with other users on LinkedIn by commenting on their posts, sharing their content, joining groups, sending messages, etc. This can help build relationships and generate interest in your profile.
Publish Optimized Content on LinkedIn
LinkedIn is not only a place to showcase your profile but also a platform to share your knowledge and insights with your audience. By publishing optimized content on LinkedIn, you can demonstrate your expertise, provide value, and drive traffic to your profile.
There are two main ways to publish content on LinkedIn: posts and articles. Posts are short updates that appear on your feed and can include text, images, videos, polls, etc. Articles are long-form content that appear on your profile and can include headings, subheadings, lists, etc.
To optimize your content for SEO, Patel advises following these tips:
- Use keywords in your titles, subtitles, and body text. Make sure your keywords are relevant to your topic and audience.
- Write catchy headlines that grab attention and entice people to click on your content.
- Use images, videos, or other media to make your content more engaging and appealing.
- Add hashtags to your content to make it more discoverable and reach a wider audience. You can use up to three hashtags per post or article.
- Include a call to action at the end of your content to encourage people to take action, such as visiting your profile, website, or landing page.
Update Your Profile Frequently
One of the most important factors for SEO is freshness. LinkedIn and other search engines favor profiles that are updated regularly and show that they are active and relevant. Updating your profile frequently can also help you showcase your latest achievements, skills, and projects.
To update your profile frequently, Patel suggests following these practices:
- Add new skills, certifications, awards, publications, or other accomplishments to your profile as you acquire them.
- Update your headline, summary, and experience sections to reflect your current goals, value proposition, and offerings.
- Change your profile picture and banner image every few months to keep your profile fresh and interesting.
Check Your Analytics
Finally, to optimize your profile for SEO, you need to measure your performance and see what works and what doesn’t. LinkedIn provides you with analytics tools that can help you track and improve your profile’s visibility, traffic, and engagement.
To check your analytics, Patel recommends using these features:
- Dashboard: This is a section on your profile page that shows you how many people have viewed your profile, post views, search appearances, and connections in the last 90 days. You can also see who has viewed your profile and how they found you.
- Content Performance: This is a section on the left side of your homepage that shows you how many impressions, reactions, comments, shares, clicks, and followers you have gained from your posts and articles in the last 30 days. You can also see the demographics of your audience by industry, job title, location, etc.
- Content Insights: This is a feature that appears on each of your posts and articles that shows you how many views, reactions, comments, shares, clicks, followers, and hashtag views you have received from each piece of content. You can also see the top companies, locations, job titles, and industries of your viewers.
By using these analytics tools, you can identify which keywords, topics, formats, and strategies generate the most results for your profile. You can then use this data to optimize your profile further and achieve your goals.
LinkedIn is a powerful platform that can help you grow your personal brand, network with professionals, and generate leads for your business. However, to make the most of it, you need to optimize your profile for SEO and for your target audience.
By following the tips from Neil Patel’s guide, you can boost your profile’s visibility, authority, and conversion rate on LinkedIn. You can also check out his blog for more digital marketing advice and resources.