If you are looking for a simple yet satisfying sandwich recipe, you might want to try the mortadella schiacchata sandwich. This Italian delicacy is made with a flatbread called schiacchata, which is topped with olive oil, salt and rosemary before baking. The bread is then filled with thin slices of mortadella, a cured pork sausage with pistachios, and stracciatella, a soft cheese made from buffalo milk. The result is a mouthwatering combination of flavors and textures that will make you feel like you are in a Tuscan trattoria.
What is Schiacchata?
Schiacchata is a type of flatbread that originated in Tuscany, Italy. The name comes from the Italian verb “schiacciare”, which means “to crush” or “to flatten”. Schiacchata is made with a simple dough of flour, water, yeast, salt and olive oil, which is stretched and dimpled by hand before baking. The bread has a crispy crust and a soft interior, and it is usually seasoned with olive oil, salt and rosemary. Schiacchata can be eaten plain, as an accompaniment to soups or salads, or as a base for sandwiches.
What is Mortadella?
Mortadella is a type of cooked sausage that originated in Bologna, Italy. It is made from finely ground pork meat, fat and spices, and it usually contains pistachios or other nuts. Mortadella has a smooth texture and a distinctive pink color, and it is often sliced very thin and served cold. Mortadella is one of the most popular cold cuts in Italy, and it is also widely consumed in other countries, especially in the Middle East and Latin America.
What is Stracciatella?
Stracciatella is a fresh cheese that originated in Puglia, Italy. It is made from buffalo milk cream that is stretched and torn into shreds, hence the name “stracciatella”, which means “little rags” in Italian. Stracciatella has a creamy texture and a mild flavor, and it is often mixed with other cheeses, such as mozzarella or burrata. Stracciatella can be eaten on its own, as a spread on bread or crackers, or as a filling for sandwiches or pastries.
How to Make a Mortadella Schiacchata Sandwich
To make a mortadella schiacchata sandwich, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 24 oz. pizza dough
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Maldon sea salt
- 2 sprigs of rosemary (picked off the stem)
- 8 slices of mortadella (thinly sliced)
- 3 tbsp stracciatella
- 1 tbsp pistachio (finely chopped)
The steps are as follows:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a 9×13 inch pan, add 3 tbsp of olive oil and spread until fully coated.
- Place the dough on the pan and stretch it so it reaches all edges.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and put it in a warm place and let rise for 30-40 minutes.
- Once the dough has risen, stretch it again by using your fingers and dimple the dough while stretching.
- Add the remaining oil, sprinkle with salt and top with rosemary.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Cut it into six equal squares.
- Carefully cut one square horizontally, so it can be used to make a sandwich.
- On the bottom half of the bread, add the mortadella.
- Top the mortadella with the stracciatella.
- Top the stracciatella with pistachio and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover with the top portion of the bread.
- Enjoy your mortadella schiacchata sandwich!
Tips and Variations
- You can use store-bought pizza dough or make your own schiacchata dough from scratch.
- You can also use other types of flatbread, such as focaccia or ciabatta, instead of schiacchata.
- You can substitute mortadella with other cold cuts, such as ham, salami or prosciutto.
- You can substitute stracciatella with other soft cheeses, such as ricotta, cream cheese or mascarpone.
- You can add other toppings to your sandwich, such as arugula, tomato, basil or olives.