If you love sweet potato pie and ice cream, you will love this no-churn sweet potato pie ice cream recipe that combines the best of both worlds. This ice cream is easy to make, requires no ice cream machine, and uses leftover ingredients from your Thanksgiving meal. It has a creamy base of sweet potato puree, condensed milk, whipped cream, and Greek yogurt, flavored with vanilla, bourbon, and pumpkin pie spice. It also has crunchy bits of cinnamon sugar-coated pie crust, maple pecans, and toasted mini marshmallows. It tastes like a frozen version of the classic pie, with a hint of orange color and a lot of deliciousness.
What You Need to Make No-Churn Sweet Potato Pie Ice Cream
To make this no-churn sweet potato pie ice cream, you will need the following ingredients:
- Medium sweet potatoes, which you can either boil or roast until soft and mash until smooth. You will need 3/4 cup of sweet potato puree for this recipe.
- Condensed milk, which adds sweetness and creaminess to the ice cream base.
- Vanilla bean paste, which gives a rich vanilla flavor and little black specks. You can also use vanilla extract if you don’t have vanilla bean paste.
- Bourbon or rum, which adds a nice kick and also helps keep the ice cream soft and scoopable. You can omit the alcohol if you prefer.
- Pumpkin pie spice, which is a blend of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. It gives the ice cream the warm and cozy flavor of the pie.
- Kosher salt, which balances the sweetness and enhances the flavor of the ice cream.
- Orange food coloring, which is optional but adds a nice orange hue to the ice cream. You can use natural food coloring or a drop or two of liquid food coloring.
- Heavy whipping cream, which you will whip until medium peaks form and fold into the sweet potato mixture. This creates a light and airy texture for the ice cream.
- Full-fat Greek yogurt, which adds some tanginess and creaminess to the ice cream base. You can also use sour cream if you like.
- Pie dough scraps, which you can use from your leftover pie dough or make from scratch. You will coat them with cinnamon sugar and bake until golden and crisp. They add a crunchy and buttery contrast to the ice cream.
- Pecans, which you will candy with maple syrup and sea salt. They add a nutty and sweet crunch to the ice cream.
- Mini marshmallows, which you will lightly toast under the broiler or with a blowtorch. They add a soft and gooey texture and a toasted flavor to the ice cream.
How to Make No-Churn Sweet Potato Pie Ice Cream
To make this no-churn sweet potato pie ice cream, you will need to follow these steps:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line two small baking sheets with aluminum foil. On one sheet, bake the sweet potatoes for an hour or until fork-tender. On the other sheet, place the pie dough scraps and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until browned. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium pan, heat the pecans and maple syrup over medium heat, stirring often, until the syrup begins to crystallize, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the flaky sea salt and stir to combine. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sweet potato puree, condensed milk, vanilla bean paste, bourbon, pumpkin pie spice, kosher salt, and food coloring until smooth and well combined.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip the heavy cream for 3 to 5 minutes, or until medium peaks form. Using a spatula, gently fold the whipped cream into the sweet potato mixture until no white streaks remain.
- In a small baking dish, spread the mini marshmallows in an even layer and broil for a few seconds until lightly toasted. Watch them carefully as they can burn quickly. Alternatively, you can use a blowtorch to toast the marshmallows.
- Break the pie crust scraps and the pecans into small pieces and fold them into the ice cream base along with the toasted marshmallows. Transfer the mixture to a loaf pan or a freezer-safe container and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight until firm.
- To serve, scoop the ice cream into bowls or cones and enjoy. You can also top it with more mini marshmallows and whipped cream if you like.
Why You Should Try This No-Churn Sweet Potato Pie Ice Cream Recipe
This no-churn sweet potato pie ice cream recipe is a great way to use up your leftover ingredients from your Thanksgiving meal and enjoy a delicious dessert. It is easy to make, requires no ice cream machine, and has a wonderful flavor and texture. It is creamy, crunchy, gooey, and spicy, with a hint of bourbon and vanilla. It is a perfect treat for the fall and winter seasons, or anytime you crave a frozen version of the classic pie. You can also make it ahead of time and store it in the freezer for up to a month. It is a fun and creative way to enjoy sweet potato pie and ice cream in one.