The Powerball lottery jackpot has soared to an estimated $386 million for the Wednesday night drawing, after no one matched all six numbers on Monday night. The cash option for the jackpot is $185.8 million, according to the Powerball website.
How to play Powerball
Powerball is a multi-state lottery game that is played in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The game costs $2 per play, and players can choose five numbers from 1 to 69 for the white balls, and one number from 1 to 26 for the red Powerball. Alternatively, players can opt for a quick pick, where the computer randomly selects the numbers for them.
To win the jackpot, players must match all five white balls and the red Powerball. The odds of winning the jackpot are about 1 in 292.2 million. There are also eight other ways to win prizes ranging from $4 to $1 million, depending on how many numbers are matched.
Players can also pay an extra $1 to activate the Power Play option, which can multiply non-jackpot winnings by 2, 3, 4, 5 or 10 times, depending on the draw. The 10X multiplier is only available when the jackpot is $150 million or less. The second-tier prize of matching five white balls is always $2 million with the Power Play.
Some jurisdictions also offer a Double Play feature, which costs another $1 per play and gives players a second chance to match their numbers in a separate drawing with a top prize of $10 million.
Winning numbers for August 30
The winning numbers for the Monday night drawing were 4, 13, 35, 61, 69, and the Powerball was 4. The Power Play was 2X. No one matched all six numbers, but there were four tickets that matched five white balls and won $1 million each. They were sold in California, Florida, New York and Texas.
The next drawing will be on Wednesday night at 10:59 p.m. ET. Players can buy tickets online or at authorized retailers until an hour before the draw.
Previous jackpot winners in 2023
So far in 2023, there have been four Powerball jackpot winners:
- On February 6, a ticket sold in Washington won a whopping $754.6 million jackpot, the sixth-largest in Powerball history.
- On March 4, a ticket sold in Virginia won a $162.6 million jackpot.
- On April 19, a ticket sold in Ohio won a $252.6 million jackpot.
- On July 19, a ticket sold in California won a massive $1.08 billion jackpot, the third-largest in Powerball history and the fourth-largest in U.S. lottery history.
Top 10 Powerball jackpots of all time
Here are the top 10 Powerball jackpots ever won, according to the Powerball website:
- $2.04 billion on November 7, 2022 – won by a single ticket sold in California.
- $1.586 billion on January 13, 2016 – split by three tickets sold in California, Florida and Tennessee.
- $1.08 billion on July 19, 2023 – won by a single ticket sold in California.
- $768.4 million on March 27, 2019 – won by a single ticket sold in Wisconsin.
- $758.7 million on August 23, 2017 – won by a single ticket sold in Massachusetts.
- $731.1 million on January 20, 2021 – won by a single ticket sold in Maryland.
- $699.8 million on October 4, 2021 – won by a single ticket sold in California.
- $687.8 million on October 27, 2018 – split by two tickets sold in Iowa and New York.
- $632.6 million on January 5, 2022 – split by two tickets sold in California and Wisconsin.
- $590.5 million on May 18, 2013 – won by a single ticket sold in Florida.