As we make our way into the warmer months, it’s only natural for our focus to shift towards our outdoor spaces. Your backyard, patio or garden can become an extension of your living space, providing a sanctuary for relaxation, entertaining, and even exercise. That’s why it’s crucial to create an outdoor environment that is both functional and visually stunning, a place that you can truly call your own. To help spark your creativity, we’ve rounded up some of the hottest landscaping trends that are taking over in 2021. From sustainable gardens to outdoor living areas, get ready to elevate your outdoor space to a whole new level that you never thought possible.
Incorporate Native and Drought-Tolerant Plants:
Native plants are the ones that occur naturally in your area and have evolved over time to thrive in local conditions. They are well-adapted to the local climate and soil conditions, making them an ideal choice for your garden. Drought-tolerant plants, on the other hand, can withstand extended periods of drought without necessitating frequent watering. Incorporating these plants in your landscape design will save water and reduce maintenance time.
Saves Water: Native and drought-tolerant plants require less watering than other plants, reducing water usage on your property.
Lowers Maintenance Costs: Since these plants thrive in your area, they don’t require as much attention, reducing maintenance costs.
Promotes Ecological Diversity: Native plants promote ecological diversity by providing habitat for wildlife, supporting pollinator populations, and preserving genetic diversity.
Research Native and Drought-Tolerant Plants: Do your research on what plants are native to your area and which ones are drought-tolerant. Check with local nurseries or online resources for options.
Start Small: When incorporating new plant species, start with a small area and monitor how they adapt to your environment.
Use Proper Planting Techniques: Plant your new additions correctly. Ensure to dig the proper size hole, amend the soil as needed, and add mulch for moisture retention.
Incorporating native and drought-tolerant plants in your landscape design is a win-win situation. From saving water to promoting ecological diversity, these plants offer numerous benefits. By following a few tips and doing your research, you can create a beautiful and sustainable outdoor space.
Add a Water Feature
If you’re looking to transform your outdoor space, adding a water feature is a great way to enhance the natural beauty of your landscape. Water elements can create a calming sound and can also help with relaxation and stress reduction. Here are some ideas on how to incorporate water elements into your landscape design: Types of Water Features:
1. Fountains – A fountain is a classic water feature that adds beauty and relaxation to any outdoor space. Fountains come in a variety of styles, from traditional to modern, and can be made of different materials such as stone, cement, or bronze.
2. Ponds – A pond adds a serene and natural look to your landscape. It can be incorporated into the ground or raised with a retaining wall, and can be stocked with fish or plants depending on your preference.
3. Streams – A stream can add movement and sound to your landscape. It can be incorporated into a winding path or natural setting to create an organic feel.
4. Hardscaping Materials – Water can also be incorporated into your landscape through hardscaping materials such as rocks, stones, and gravel. These materials can create a dry stream, a water wall or a basin, for example.
Benefits of Water Features:
1. Creates a calming and peaceful atmosphere
2. Increases the aesthetics of the landscape
3. Enhances natural beauty
4. Decreases noise pollution
Tips for Adding Water Features:
1. Decide on the type of water feature you want based on the space and style of your landscape
2. Ensure appropriate placement – for example, a fountain or pond should be placed in an area where it can be seen from indoors
3. Consider the maintenance required for each type of water feature when selecting
4. Consult a professional to help with installation and maintenance to ensure longevity and functionality.
Overall, adding a water feature can take your outdoor space to the next level. Whether you choose a fountain or a pond, incorporating water elements into your landscape design can enhance the natural beauty and create a sense of serenity and tranquility.
Create Outdoor Living Areas:
Creating outdoor living areas can significantly elevate the functionality and overall appeal of your outdoor space. There are numerous ways to add functional outdoor spaces, including patios, decks, outdoor kitchens, fire pits and seating areas. Let’s discuss some of the best ways to add outdoor living areas to your property.
One of the most popular outdoor living areas is a beautiful patio. Patios provide the perfect spot for outdoor entertaining and relaxation, and they can be customized to suit any design preference. You can choose from a variety of different materials, including stone, brick, and concrete to create a unique and stylish patio.
Benefits of a patio:
– Increases the value of your home
– Provides an extension of your indoor living space
– Low maintenance
– Durable and long-lasting
Tips for creating a beautiful patio:
– Choose the right materials to match your home’s aesthetic.
– Consider adding lighting to your patio for nighttime use.
– Include seating areas and a dining area for maximum functionality.
Decks are another popular outdoor living area that adds value to your home while also providing an excellent space for outdoor entertainment. Decks come in a variety of materials, including wood, composite, and vinyl, and can be customized to suit any design preference.
Benefits of a deck:
– Provides an excellent spot for outdoor entertainment – Increases the value of your home
– Low maintenance
Tips for creating a beautiful deck:
– Choose durable materials that will withstand the elements and frequent use.
– Include ample seating areas and a dining area for maximum functionality.
– Consider adding shade with a pergola or canopy.
An outdoor kitchen is a luxurious addition to any outdoor living space. It allows for outdoor cooking and dining, making it the perfect spot for parties and family gatherings. Outdoor kitchens can be customized with a variety of appliances, including grills, refrigerators, and sinks.
Benefits of an outdoor kitchen:
– Increases the functionality of your outdoor living space
– Allows for outdoor cooking and dining
– Adds value to your home
– Low maintenance
Tips for creating a functional outdoor kitchen:
– Choose high-quality appliances to ensure longevity.
– Include a seating area for dining and socializing.
– Add shade with a pergola or canopy.
A fire pit is a perfect outdoor living area that adds a cozy and warm ambiance to your outdoor space. Fire pits can be customized in various styles and sizes, including built-in or portable options.
Benefits of a fire pit:
– Creates a cozy and warm ambiance
– Ideal for outdoor entertaining
– Increases the value of your home
– Low maintenance
Tips for creating a functional fire pit:
– Choose a safe location away from flammable objects.
– Choose a size and style that complements your outdoor space.
– Add seating around the fire pit for maximum comfort.
Seating areas are the simplest and most versatile way to add an outdoor living area to your property. They can be customized in a variety of styles and materials, including benches, chairs, and outdoor sofas.
Benefits of seating areas:
– Provides the perfect spot for outdoor relaxation
– Adds value to your home
– Low maintenance
– Versatile and customizable
Tips for creating a beautiful seating area:
– Choose durable materials that can withstand the elements.
– Add cushions and pillows for comfort.
– Include shade with an umbrella or pergola.
Creating outdoor living areas is an excellent way to elevate your outdoor space’s functionality and overall appeal. Whether you choose a patio, deck, outdoor kitchen, fire pit, or seating area, there are numerous options to add value to your home and create an outdoor space that can be enjoyed year-round.
Use Natural Materials:
Using natural materials is one of the most trending landscape design ideas that elevates your outdoor space. It involves exploring the use of sustainable and eco-friendly materials like bamboo, reclaimed wood, and salvaged metal that are environmentally responsible and timeless. To understand this trend better, let’s dive into the details.
1. Sustainable: Natural materials like bamboo and reclaimed wood are sourced ethically, making them sustainable choices. Using them in your outdoor space is a step towards preserving the environment.
2. Unique: Natural materials have their unique texture, color, and pattern, making them stand out from synthetic counterparts. Using these materials in your landscape design can add character and personality to your outdoor space.
3. Durable: Natural materials like bamboo and reclaimed wood are known for their durability. They are resistant to water damage, insects, and rot, making them long-lasting choices for your landscape design.
4. Low Maintenance: Using natural materials in your outdoor space is relatively low-maintenance compared to synthetic materials. They require less upkeep, saving you time and effort.
1. Research: Before choosing natural materials for your outdoor space, research which materials are available in your area, and how they perform in different weather conditions.
2. Quality: Choose high-quality natural materials that are free from any harmful chemicals or toxins.
3. Combination: Use natural materials in combination with synthetic materials to achieve a balance between durability and aesthetics.
4. Professional Help: For installation and maintenance of natural materials, seek the help of a professional who has experience handling natural materials.
Using natural materials in landscape design is a trending idea that can transform your outdoor space into a sustainable, unique, durable, and low-maintenance area. By choosing natural materials, you contribute to the environment’s preservation, add character to your outdoor space, and save yourself time and effort. Remember to research the materials, choose high-quality options, combine with synthetic materials, and seek professional help for installation and maintenance.
Install Landscape Lighting
One of the best ways to elevate your outdoor space and create a warm and inviting ambiance is through landscape lighting. Lighting not only enhances visibility in the dark but also adds a touch of elegance to your outdoor living area. Here are some tips and benefits of landscape lighting:
Benefits of Landscape Lighting:
1. Safety: Good landscape lighting will help you and your guests navigate around your yard or garden safely by illuminating pathways, steps, and other potential hazards.
2. Security: Properly placed lighting can help deter potential burglars and intruders from entering your property. Motion sensor lights can be especially effective, as they can be used to alert you to any unusual activity on your property.
3. Aesthetics: The right lighting can highlight the best features of your landscaping, such as a beautiful tree or garden bed. It can also make your home’s exterior look more attractive by emphasizing architectural details or creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
Tips on Landscape Lighting:
1. Start with a Plan: Before purchasing any lighting, you need to create a lighting plan that outlines the areas you want to light and the type of fixtures that will best accentuate those areas.
2. Consider Energy Efficiency: LED lights are an excellent energy-efficient option that will significantly reduce your energy bills while also being long-lasting.
3. Choose the Right Fixtures: There are various lighting options available such as pathway lights, uplights, and accent lights. Each type will provide a different effect, and you should choose the right fixtures that complement your outdoor aesthetic.
4. Be Strategic with Placement: The placement of your lighting fixtures is significant, and you should consider the height, angle, and distance of each fixture to create the desired effect.
If you want to enjoy your outdoor living area after dark, then landscape lighting is a must-have. It has many benefits, including safety, security, and aesthetics. Follow these tips to create a lighting plan that will best accentuate your home’s exterior while still remaining energy-efficient.
Incorporate Edible Gardens:
Adding edible gardens to your landscape design adds a unique and functional touch to your outdoor space. It not only enhances the aesthetics but also provides fresh fruits, vegetables, and herbs that you can use in your cooking. In this section, we’ll discuss the benefits and tips for incorporating edible gardens into your landscape design.
Benefits of Edible Gardens:
1. Fresh and Healthy Produce: Edible gardens allow you to enjoy fresh and healthy produce right from your backyard. You can avoid the use of chemical pesticides and fertilizers, which are often used in mass-produced fruits and vegetables.
2. Money-Saving: Growing your fruits and vegetables can significantly reduce your grocery bills. It’s an excellent way to save money in the long run.
3. Eco-friendly: Edible gardens reduce your carbon footprint by reducing the transportation emissions produced by food distribution. It’s an eco-friendly approach to food production.
4. Educational and Fun: Growing and maintaining an edible garden can be a fun and educational experience for both kids and adults. You’ll learn more about the natural world and how food grows.
Tips for Incorporating Edible Gardens:
1. Choose the Right Location: The first step in planning an edible garden is finding the right location. Look for a spot that receives enough sunlight and has good drainage. Some fruits and vegetables require full sun, while others prefer partial shade.
2. Plan Your Garden: Decide what kind of fruits, vegetables, and herbs you want to grow before starting your garden. Choose plants that are suitable for your climate and soil type. You can also consider planting companion plants that help each other grow.
3. Consider Raised Beds: If you have limited space or poor soil quality, consider using raised beds. Raised beds provide better drainage and are easier to maintain. You can also use them to plant different kinds of plants in the same space.
4. Use Compost and Organic Fertilizers: Avoid using chemical pesticides and fertilizers in your garden. Use compost and organic fertilizers to keep your plants healthy.
An edible garden can add beauty, functionality, and sustainability to your landscape design. By following these tips, you can create an edible garden that provides fresh and healthy produce for you and your family. Start planning your edible garden today and enjoy the benefits of homegrown fruits, vegetables, and herbs.
Mix Contemporary and Traditional
When it comes to outdoor landscapes, mixing traditional and contemporary styles can create a unique and personalized design that reflects the homeowner’s personality. By combining different elements and features from both styles, you can come up with a cohesive design that adds character and charm to your outdoor space. Here are some tips and benefits of mixing traditional and contemporary styles in your landscape design:
– Creates a unique and personalized design that reflects your personality and style.
– Adds character and charm to your outdoor space.
– Provides a more eclectic and interesting design that sets your property apart from others in the neighborhood.
– Allows for more creativity and flexibility in design options.
– Start by deciding on the overall style you want to achieve, whether it’s more traditional or contemporary. Once you have a clear vision in mind, you can begin to incorporate elements from the other style to create a blended design.
– Use traditional elements such as natural materials like wood and stone, traditional plants like roses or hydrangeas, and classic design features like fountains or garden statues.
– Incorporate contemporary elements such as minimalist design, modern planters or sculptures, and clean lines to create a more modern feel.
– Remember to balance the traditional and contemporary elements to create a cohesive and visually appealing design.
Mixing traditional and contemporary styles in landscape design provides a unique and personalized design that reflects your personality and style. By incorporating elements from both styles, you can create an interesting and eclectic design that adds character and charm to your outdoor space. Just remember to balance the traditional and contemporary elements for a cohesive and visually appealing design.
In conclusion, your outdoor space is an extension of your home, a reflection of your personality, and a sanctuary where you can relax and rejuvenate. With these trending landscape design ideas, you can transform your outdoor living area into an oasis of beauty, comfort, and functionality. From natural elements and sustainable materials to low-maintenance plants and lighting fixtures, these designs offer exciting options to elevate your outdoor space to the next level. So, why not take advantage of these inspiring ideas and create a backyard that inspires you, connects you with nature, and enhances your quality of life? Your outdoor space is waiting for you to explore its full potential.
FAQ – Ideas to Elevate Your Outdoor Space
1. What are some popular landscape design ideas that can transform my outdoor space?
Answer: Some popular ideas include adding a fire pit or an outdoor kitchen, creating a focal point with a water feature or sculpture, and incorporating textured or colorful plantings.
2. How can I enhance my small outdoor space?
Answer: Optimize the use of vertical space by adding wall-mounted planters and shelves or a vertical garden. Use mirrors strategically to create the illusion of depth and space.
3. How can I incorporate sustainable design into my landscape?
Answer: Use permeable pavers, native plants that require less watering, and rain barrels to collect runoff. Incorporate composting bins and natural materials such as stone, wood, and recycled materials.
4. How can I make my backyard more enjoyable in the colder months?
Answer: Add a fire pit or outdoor heater to keep cozy, incorporate winter-friendly plantings such as evergreens and cold-hardy succulents, and use blankets or outdoor covers to protect from the elements.
5. How can I create a low-maintenance landscape design?
Answer: Use drought-tolerant plants that require less watering, incorporate hardscaping elements such as patios and walkways to reduce the need for mowing, and use mulch to suppress weeds and retain moisture.
6. How can I incorporate lighting into my landscape design?
Answer: Use uplighting to highlight focal points and trees, integrate ambient and task lighting for outdoor living areas, and incorporate pathway lighting for safety and ambiance.
7. How can I create a cohesive design that blends with my home’s architecture?
Answer: Choose materials and elements that complement the style of your home, consider the color scheme and design elements already present, and use repetition and symmetry to create a cohesive look.
8. How can I create a design that promotes relaxation and wellness?
Answer: Incorporate a meditation area, create a peaceful water feature, use aromatherapy plants such as lavender and lemon balm, and incorporate calming colors such as blue and green.
9. How can I create an eco-friendly landscape that attracts wildlife?
Answer: Use native plants that provide food and shelter for wildlife, incorporate bird feeders and houses, install a rain garden to filter and capture stormwater runoff, and avoid using pesticides and chemicals.
10. How can I incorporate art and sculpture into my landscape design?
Answer: Use large-scale sculptures or garden art as a focal point, incorporate smaller pieces throughout the landscape, and use natural elements such as stone and wood to create artful installations.