Influencer marketing is a popular and effective way for brands to reach and engage with their target audiences on social media platforms. It involves partnering with influencers, who are individuals with a large and loyal following, to promote products, services, or causes. Influencer marketing has become a global phenomenon, with the market size expected to reach $13.8 billion in 2023.
Manchester, the second-largest city in the UK, is home to a vibrant and diverse scene of influencer marketing. The city has a rich history of culture, creativity, and innovation, which attracts many talented and influential people from different backgrounds and niches. In this article, we will explore some of the insights and trends of influencer marketing in Manchester, and how it is shaping the future of digital marketing in the UK.
The Benefits of Influencer Marketing in Manchester
Manchester offers many advantages for brands and influencers who want to collaborate and create successful campaigns. Some of the benefits are:
- A large and engaged audience: Manchester has a population of over 2.8 million people, making it one of the most populous metropolitan areas in the UK. The city also has a high percentage of young people, with 40% of the population aged between 16 and 34. These demographics mean that there is a huge potential market for brands to tap into, as well as a loyal and active fan base for influencers to connect with.
- A diverse and inclusive community: Manchester is known for its diversity and inclusivity, with people from various ethnicities, cultures, religions, and lifestyles living and working together. The city celebrates its differences and embraces its multicultural identity, which reflects on its social media landscape. Influencers from different niches and backgrounds can find their voice and audience in Manchester, and brands can benefit from working with influencers who represent their values and vision.
- A creative and innovative hub: Manchester is a hub for creativity and innovation, with a thriving scene of arts, music, fashion, sports, technology, and entrepreneurship. The city has produced many influential figures in these fields, such as Oasis, The Smiths, Manchester United, Joy Division, The Chemical Brothers, Alan Turing, Emmeline Pankhurst, and more. Influencers in Manchester can draw inspiration from the city’s culture and heritage, and create original and engaging content for their followers. Brands can also leverage the city’s reputation and influence to boost their brand awareness and credibility.
The Challenges of Influencer Marketing in Manchester
Despite the benefits, influencer marketing in Manchester also faces some challenges that need to be addressed. Some of the challenges are:
- The competition: Manchester is a competitive market for influencer marketing, as there are many influencers and brands vying for attention and opportunities. Influencers need to stand out from the crowd and offer something unique and valuable to their followers. Brands need to find the right influencers who match their goals and objectives, and who can deliver results. Both parties need to do their research and analysis before engaging in any collaboration.
- The regulation: Influencer marketing in the UK is regulated by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), which sets out rules and guidelines for how influencers should disclose their partnerships with brands. Influencers need to be transparent and honest with their followers about any sponsored or paid content they post on their platforms. They need to use clear labels such as #ad or #sponsored to indicate that they have received compensation or incentives from brands. Brands need to ensure that they comply with the ASA’s rules and respect the influencers’ creative freedom.
- The measurement: Influencer marketing in Manchester requires careful planning and measurement to ensure that it is effective and efficient. Influencers need to set clear goals and expectations with brands before starting any campaign. They need to track and report their performance metrics such as reach, engagement, conversions, sales, etc. Brands need to monitor and evaluate their return on investment (ROI) from influencer marketing campaigns. They need to use data-driven tools and methods to measure their impact and outcomes.
The Future of Influencer Marketing in Manchester
Influencer marketing in Manchester is expected to grow and evolve in the future, as more brands and influencers recognize its potential and benefits. Some of the trends that will shape the future of influencer marketing in Manchester are:
- The rise of micro-influencers: Micro-influencers are influencers who have between 1k to 100k followers on their platforms. They tend to have higher engagement rates than macro-influencers (who have more than 100k followers), as they have more personal relationships with their followers. They also tend to have more niche audiences who share their interests and passions. Brands will increasingly work with micro-influencers who can offer more authenticity, trustworthiness, relevance, and cost-effectiveness.
- The emergence of new platforms: Influencer marketing in Manchester will expand beyond the traditional platforms such as Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter. New and emerging platforms such as TikTok, Clubhouse, Twitch, and Snapchat will offer new opportunities and challenges for brands and influencers. These platforms will enable influencers to create more diverse and interactive content for their followers, such as short videos, live streams, podcasts, etc. Brands will need to adapt to these platforms and their features, and find new ways to collaborate with influencers.
- The integration of social commerce: Social commerce is the process of selling products or services directly on social media platforms. Influencer marketing in Manchester will integrate more with social commerce, as brands and influencers will use their platforms to drive sales and conversions. Influencers will use features such as shoppable posts, stories, reels, etc. to showcase and recommend products or services to their followers. Brands will use features such as checkout, catalog, shop, etc. to enable their followers to purchase products or services without leaving the platform.
Influencer marketing in Manchester is a rising scene that offers many opportunities and benefits for brands and influencers. The city has a large and engaged audience, a diverse and inclusive community, and a creative and innovative hub that make it an ideal place for influencer marketing. However, influencer marketing in Manchester also faces some challenges such as the competition, the regulation, and the measurement that need to be overcome. The future of influencer marketing in Manchester will be shaped by the trends such as the rise of micro-influencers, the emergence of new platforms, and the integration of social commerce.